Saturday, November 22, 2008

"My mom is crase."

So, I'm not very consistent with this whole blog thing...on top of the fact that I have been extremely busy. However, cleaning out Blaine's backpack and his "friday folder" yesterday inspired me to write this blog. Every Friday he brings home a folder that has newsletters, weekly readers, and graded homework in it, along with notes on PTA, etc. Yesterday I got the papers out of his backpack and sat down to go through them. I like to do it first thing when I get home Friday because they are really bad about putting notices about things the kids can do over the weekend in there and I'd hate to miss something because I hadn't looked. So, anyway, I sat down on the bed and sorted through the papers. I must admit, I don't always read his homework, I just make sure he's getting good grades so that if he's not, I can help him. So I don't know what made me stop on this one particular assignment (the grade was excellent!). Maybe seeing the words "my mom" down towards the bottom were it. I think it must have been an assignment on punctuation and using capital letters. Questions 1 and 3 had to be rewritten, with the correct punctuation. 2 and 4 were blank. The kids just had to write a random sentence of their own. On number 2, Blaine had written something about playing outside with his brother. But then I read number 4...and then cracked up...then yelled for him...then cracked up again...Number 4 said (and this is a quote!) "My mom is crase." (Since this was a punctuation, capital letter assignment, he hadn't been graded on his spelling and first graders can't just look up spelling of words in the dictionary very easilyt.) When he came in the room, I asked him to read number 4 out loud. He looked at the paper, saw what it was, gave a sheepish grin, and said "um..." So I helped him out...i read the first word, he read the second, i read the third which left him actually saying the words mom and crazy...When he realized he wasn't really in trouble, he said "well you kinda are."
I've also had parent-teacher conferences since my last blog. I was sitting there talking to his teacher and when she started talking about working independently and sitting quietly, he got up and started straightening stuff up around the classroom. I think he knew what Mrs. McFarland was going to say. Would you believe that he talks too much??? :-)

No comments: