Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Are you really?"

Let me begin by saying that I'm not someone who lets the opinions/fashions/likes of the crowd influence me any more. I might have in school but trust me, spend 5 years in front of a bunch of teenagers and you learn really quick that you have to be able to let opinions roll off your back. I also learned how much more fun and how much cooler it is to be who you really are all of the time. So thus begins (I just really wanted to use that phrase, how ever incorrectly I choose to use it), my foray (woohoo...big word) into the category of "embarrasing moms."
There have been a handful of times in the past where I have said or done something that made Blaine kind of cringe like, I can't believe she did that. And Blaine is more of a nerdy kid so that we've been trying to encourage him to not cry and whine about stupid stuff in front of his friends because kids are mean and they'll make fun of you (okay, so it is possible that I use the 'be yourself' whenever the mood strikes me...other times i encourage going with the crowd...just call me an oxymoron :-) Anyway, I got home from work today and like i always do, I changed out of my work slacks and into my jammie shorts (which actually happen to be tonight spandex...not a pretty sight!). I took off my Smurf jacket (trust me if you haven't seen it, we look like a convention of wal-mart greeters when we're at work) but left the plain white long-sleeved t-shirt on. Then I realized my feet were really cold...I had just pulled a pair of new socks out of a bag that my mom had brought me this afternoon so I decided to put them on.
This is probably where I should say, my individuality comes out the most in my socks...not over noticeable or "weird" but able to show some personality...and also a quiet way to rebel against the stupid new uniforms...So back to the new socks. I put them on. Now, let me describe my outfit from head to toe so you can get the full effect. A white long-sleeved t-shirt with a small stain spot right in the middle between my boobs (and no bra), black icky spandex bicycle shorts (very comfy to sleep in but not attractive at all, especially with my fat thighs), then on my feet, I was wearing a pair of blue, green, yellow, and red striped toe socks (socks that are like gloves in that they have individual spots for each toe) that come up to my knees.
I heard the boys playing around in their bedroom so I said to Lance "listen to this" (which by the way, he didn't) "i'm gonna tell blaine...". I came out the door into their bedroom and Blaine (the nosy little kid) said "tell blaine what?". I said "I'm going to go to your holiday play next week dressed like this, okay?" now i can't really put into words the look that came across Blaine's face just them. However his emotions played out very openly on his face. I could sense his loyalty to Mommy (oh yes, there is still some of that no matter how brief it will be) at war with the part that is saying "i will never be able to show my face in springfield again." He looked me up and down about 3 times then looked at me and said "are you really?"...i couldn't contain my laughter any longer and I hugged him and said "no sweetie". Then he said, "good because I wouldn't have been able to look at you and then when it came my line I would've had to say 'thats not my mommy in the crazy socks". i laughed and laughed and laughed because, unfortunately for blaine, most of the time, i won't hesitate to do something even if it will embarass him if its just being myself. However, you will not see me outside of my house dressed like this. Even I have my standards. :-)

No comments: